The Genome Center at the University of California, Davis invites applications from qualified candidates for a Junior Specialist position.
Working for Professor Luca Comai, this position will be a part of a multi-national team aimed at developing novel and effective genetic approaches for tomorrow agriculture in developing Africa. Work at UC Davis uses the model plant Arabidopsis to develop and characterize novel chromatin genes for manipulation of chromosome segregation.
Strong candidates will be passionate about genetics and will have good working experience in DNA-based molecular biology. Qualifications include as many as possible of the following:
- Baccalaureate degree in Plant Biology, Genetics, Molecular Biology or related field.
- Experience in extraction, purification and manipulation of nucleic acids from bacteria and eukaryotes (plant preferred).
- Competence in basic bioinformatics tasks, such as sequence analysis, primer design for PCR and gene assembly.
- Experience in PCR and plasmid based manipulations for gene and vector assembly.
- Experience in mRNA isolation, characterization and expression analysis.
- Experience in protein characterization, such PAGE and western blot.
- Knowledge of sequencing methods.
- Background in plant genetics, developmental and reproductive biology.
- Experience in microscopy.
- Good quantitative skills.
Interested candidates should submit all materials via the web-based online submission system, JPF01980. Required materials include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of research, names and contact information for three references, and a statement of contributions to Diversity. The deadline for full consideration is January 19, 2018.
The University of California, Davis, and the UC Davis Genome Center are interested in candidates who are committed to the highest standards of scholarship and professional activities, and to the development of a campus climate that supports equality and diversity. The University of California, Davis, is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its faculty and staff.